Valentine’s Day is around the corner! If you’re looking for a sweet, diabetic-friendly treat to give to that special someone in your life, check out this Raspberry Heart Cookie recipe from Diabetic Gourmet.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup light butter, room temperature
- 1 cup Granulated Splenda
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon vinegar (white or cider)
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup low or no sugar added raspberry jam
- 3 ounces sugar free chocolate, melted
- Heart shaped cookie cutter
- Baking pan / cookie sheet
- Blend together the butters, Splenda and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl. Blend until butter is softened.
- Add egg substitute, water and vinegar to above mixture. Mix briefly. Add flours, salt and baking powder. Mix with electric mixer on low speed (or by hand) until dough is formed. Do not overmix.
- Remove dough from bowl and place on a floured work surface. Divide the dough in half. Pat each half into a circle. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Lightly oil a baking pan or cookie sheet. Set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll out on a floured work surface to approximately 1/8-inch thickness. Cut with two-inch heart shaped cookie cutter. Cut small heart shapes out of the center of half of the cookies (these will be the tops of the finished cookies). Place cookies on the prepared cookie sheet or baking pan.
- Bake in oven for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned on the bottom. Take them out and cool them on a wire rack.
- Spread 1 teaspoon of raspberry jam in the center of the large cookies. Then flip over the smaller cutout hearts and drizzle melted chocolate on the underside. Carefully place the smaller cutout hearts, chocolate side down, on top of the larger heart cookies so the raspberry jam shows. Push them down lightly and ENJOY!
Serving size: 1 cookie
Carbohydrates: 17 g
Protein: 2 g
Fat: 8 g
Cholesterol: 20 g
Sodium: 65 mg
Fiber: 1 g
Sugars: 2 g