Before you can complete your reverse mortgage application, Reverse mortgage applicants must first receive independent reverse mortgage counseling. This step, required by law, is designed to protect you. After you have discussed reverse mortgages with your MetLife Bank Reverse Mortgage Consultant and you've decided that you want to get one, you should schedule your reverse mortgage counseling session with a counselor approved by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). These counselors are not employed by MetLife Bank.
Your counselor will make sure you:
- Understand the reverse mortgage process
- Are aware of the financial implications
- Have had all of your questions answered
Here is a list of national HUD-approved agencies:
- CredAbility: 1-800-251-2227
- Money Management International (MMI): 1-877-908-2227
- National Council on Aging (NCOA): 1-800-510-0301
- National Foundation for Credit Counseling (NFCC): 1-866-698-6322
MetLife will also provide you with a list of at least five local HUD-approved agencies that you can choose from to obtain reverse mortgage counseling. When you have completed counseling, your counselor will provide you with a certificate that MetLife will need to see in order to proceed with your reverse mortgage application.