Update: The winner of the 2013 AmeriGlide Achiever Scholarship is Margaret Andersen. You can read her essay here.
AmeriGlide is the leading supplier and distributor of home accessibility products, including wheelchair lifts, stair lifts, residential elevators, and other mobility products. AmeriGlide understands the needs of wheelchair users in an academic environment, and we're willing to help them anyway we can - that's why we're proud to bring back the AmeriGlide Achiever scholarship!
The AmeriGlide Achiever Scholarship is a scholarship we offer to full time college students who use either a manual wheelchair, power wheelchair, or mobility scooter. One applicant will be selected to receive a $2,500 scholarship award. Our goal is to contribute to the future of a wheelchair user by offering the winning student financial assistance to help cover the expenses of tuition and books.
In addition, the school of the applicant who wins will receive a free swimming pool lift that allows them to offer more accessibility to their handicapped students and staff, as well as comply with new ADA requirements.
In addition to submitting an essay response, all applicants must meet the following requirements.
- Must be enrolled at an accredited two or four year college within the United States as an undergraduate or graduate student.
- Must have at least one year of college experience.
- Must use a manual or electric wheelchair, or a mobility scooter. (Exceptions on a case-by-case basis)
- Must have a minimum 3.0 GPA.
- Must complete application and submit response to essay question by May 31st, 2013.
- Must be a legal resident of the United States or hold a valid student visa.
The essay question is the following: "What goals do you have for your career/life, why do you have those goals, and what inspires you to achieve them?"